|Members of the PA COSMO club work together to address the various needs of Prince Albert and area.|
|Prince Albert Cosmopolitan Club was founded in 1939- Present|
|According to the 60th anniversary book,the Prince Albert Cosmopolitan Club was chartered April 5th; 1939. The Charter night was held on Sat., Apr. 1st, 1939. The installation of its first officers was conducted by Lovell Smith, President of Cos-mopolitan International, and a member of the Saskatoon club. The first president of the club was Charlie Musk.
Our Prince Albert club is a member of Western Canada Federation of Cosmopolitan Clubs. Federations of clubs in Cana-da, the United States and Mexico make up Cosmopolitan International
The Objects, Aims and Purposes of Cosmopolitan clubs are outlined in Article V of the Constitution.
The Prince Albert Cosmopolitan Club is a service Club. Its members pledge themselves “to serve others”, as enjoined by the
Master; “I am among you as One that serveth.”
The Prince Albert Club had its beginning in a rather inauspicious time. 1939 – The Dirty Thirties were hardly over; the threat of war hung over the free nations of the world. This was the time and climate when our club was organised. In Sept of 1941, the Club hosted the Western Canada federation Convention. Charlie Musk was elected Governor of the Western Federation.
The 1940’s were an exciting period for the Club. The lease agreement for the Minto Arena/Cosmocade allowed for many great events, such as Klondike Days, and dances with as many as 1800 people attending. The club had to maintain an Or-chestra License with the city. Profits from Cosmocade events funded projects like the Boys’ Camp.
A Short History 60th Anniversary book, revised.
The Cosmocade at left was a hockey arena
in winter, and a dance/recreation/event hall during the summer
Uncle Jim and his Cosmopolitan Oldtimers
The Club took as its motto, “It is better to build boys than to mend men” – indicating the direction and the emphasis of the
Club in its endeavours. The first project was the “Boys’ Camp” under the able leadership of Father A. St. Pierre. The camp at Christopher Lake was situated on a four acre plot made available by charter member Neville Hadley, who led in initiating and promoting the project. Needy boys were given a two week holiday in healthful surroundings enjoying recreational and educational activities under capable and caring leadership. During the twenty year life of the project, 1500 boys attend-ed the camp – at a cost to the Club of approximately $40,000.00. In 1942, the Club instituted the Cosmopolitan Honour Awards, giving encouragement to the young in our city schools. A boy and a girl in grade four, from each of the elementary schools, selected for excellence in scholarship and leadership qualities was awarded the Honour Student Award and a five dollar bank account. By 1966, a total of 600 grade four students had received awards.
Still with its emphasis on support of Youth, in 1942, the club obtained a five year lease of the old Minto Arena, and equipped it with a removable floor for weekly teen-age dances. These incidentally, provided funds for the Boys’ Camp. In 1945, the Club took over the direction of a teen-age group, (Jump-Town), organised by Jimmy Griffiths and Marshall Allbright. The Arena, (Cosmocade), was fitted out with sport and recreation equipment for the group, (Cosmo-Teens).
Their membership grew to 450. For the young children of the East End, the club provided a park and a paddling pool. The Cosmo Club was one of the original members of the Little League Baseball Club, started in 1950, and has supported a minor baseball team each year since, at an approximate cost of $1,000.00 per year.
As civic authorities became more involved in recreational development, the Club supported the city in the development of Little Red River Park, contributing COSMO LODGE at a cost of $30,000.00. As well, they contributed generously to the construction of the Memorial Swimming Pool, the recreation Center and Lion’s Band Hall, and provided the Communiplex with the sound system, ($5,000.00), and the Time Clock, ($15,000.00).
In more recent times, Club support has included help for Senior Citizens and the Handicapped, as well as a Community Bus service.
The cover of a booklet of event tickets
Instruction inside the cover
According to Cosmo Merv Sutton, “The Prince Albert Cosmopolitan Club is 75 years old this year and the Winter Festival is 50 years old. Cosmopolitans have been involved with theWinter Festival every year and have timed the Dog Races every year. Over the years, Cosmopolitans have volunteered for many events, sponsored many events, and have served on the
Winter Festival management many times, several times as President.”
The first reference to the Winter Festival in the Club archives refers to the Cosmo sponsorship of Linda Joyce, (Pixie) Hiltz in the annual Festival Queen Contest in 1969. She wasn’t the last Cosmopolitan candidate to be crowned Queen. In the early years of the “revived” Winter Festival, (There was a Winter Festival in the 1920’s), there was a Festival Committee which got volunteer support wherever they could find it, and a lot of folks were eager to be a part of it. Also, in the early days, most of the events had corporate sponsors like Molson’s, and P.A. Pulp. Eventually, the Cosmopolitan Club took over as sponsor and organiser of the Festival Queen Pageant, and the Queen was referred to as Miss Cosmopolitan.
In 1977, Cosmo President Wes Stubbs was also Winter Festival President. By the winter of 1982-83, the Club actually had a 12 member committee to look after its Festival involvement. Long time Cosmo Buck Meredith acted as “Starter” for the dog races for 28 years. When he passed away several years ago, the duty was taken on by his son Jesse, and the tradition continues. For many years, the Club hosted the “Musher’s” banquet. To this day, Cosmo members perform timing duties for the dog races, and distribute the numbered bibs for the racers.